Sunday, January 4, 2026

Out of the Darkness and into the Light

  

Out of the Darkness and Into the Light


A Midnight Thought

There are moments in the night when the silence feels heavy.
When the world slows down, and the weight of life settles fully on the heart.
It’s often in those late hours, when there is nowhere left to hide, that God speaks the loudest.

This reflection was born on one of those nights.



Watch the Midnight Thoughts Video

You can watch the full Midnight Thoughts reflection here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm2Hrc7FEz3Ic0hpXm-O-Q



When Darkness Feels Overwhelming



When I was diagnosed with ALS, I fell into a deep depression.
I remember sitting alone in my chair, the room was dark, and so was my mind.

The darkness seemed to fill every thought.
I cried out into the night, “Why me?”
Tears came day and night as I whispered, “Oh God, this is too hard.”

My mind felt trapped inside a prison.
A body that no longer obeyed me.
It felt like solitary confinement
a dark, lonely cell with no clear way out.

"Sometimes the darkest place isn’t the room around us, it’s the thoughts within us.”

 

A Light Reaches In

But in the middle of that darkness, something changed.

A hand reached through, a whisper of light.
At first, it was faint.
Then it grew brighter.

As that light reached me, I felt a quiet reminder:
I wasn’t alone.

Even in the deepest pain, God was still there,
waiting for me to look up.

And in that stillness, I heard a gentle voice say:

“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

 

The Light That Leads Us 



Jesus said:

“I am the light of the world.
Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness,
but will have the light of life.”

John 8:12

Those words took on new meaning for me.

Little by little, the light began to grow.
Each prayer.
Each word of comfort is from a loved one.
Each sunrise I was blessed to see.

None of it erased the diagnosis.
None of it removed the challenges.
But it reminded me that darkness does not get the final word.

“Darkness doesn’t win when you let the light in.”

 

Living With ALS in the Light



I still live with ALS.
The challenges haven’t disappeared.

But I’ve learned something powerful:

Light doesn’t have to be overwhelming to be effective.
Even the smallest light can break through the deepest night.

If you are in a dark place right now,
hold on.
Breathe.

You may not see the way forward yet,
but that doesn’t mean the light isn’t there
.

 

A Quiet Invitation

If tonight feels heavy, you are not alone.
God’s light is still shining,
even when the night feels endless.

Sometimes faith is simply choosing to look up,
even when your eyes are tired from the dark

 

One Last Thought

Thank you for spending these Midnight Thoughts with me.

If this reflection brought you hope:

  • Consider subscribing to Breath By Breath With ALS
  • Share this post or video with someone who may be walking through darkness
  • Take a quiet moment to breathe and reflect

And remember,
even in the hardest nights, God’s light is still shining.
Take life one breath at a time,
and let His light guide your way.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waiting with Patience

Waiting With Patience A Midnight Thought There are moments in the early morning when w...